by Monthly bill Ray | May 14, 2019 | Submit a Remark
Functioning in Gartner’s semiconductor workforce I invest a great deal of time outlining that semiconductors aren’t just black caterpillars with silver legs, but a bellwether for the complete IT marketplace. Semiconductors have to be intended and produced ahead of any computing revolution can be unveiled by an impresario in a turtleneck sweater, so if you want to know what is seriously likely to materialize up coming in computing then it begins with the semiconductors.
My specialism is wireless semiconductors – Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, 5G, and that variety of detail, but in some cases other pieces of the sector are extra beneficial in displaying which way the wind is blowing.
My colleague Joe Unsworth, for case in point, has just published a industry share evaluation of Good-Point out Drives (SSDs), and reckons that 2018 efficiency will show us what’s going to take place in 2019, dependent on 3 critical findings:
- The SSD Market is THE crucial advancement driver of NAND Flash. 44% of full NAND GB consumption goes into SSDs.
- The aggressive dynamics stay fierce with Samsung remaining dominant but Toshiba Memory and Micron gaining share as WDC struggled
- Pc SSD unit growth remained strong at 27.7% but big price declines resulted in much less revenue than the former yr.
- A critical oversupply and value crash assures additional of the similar in 2019
- SSDs are only heading to get much less expensive, until eventually the sector commences to recuperate all-around the conclude of the 12 months.
- Organization SSD product sales cooled to underneath 15% and slowed specially late in 2018 owing to subdued hyperscale demand from customers.
- The development proceeds in 2019 as enterprise SSD inventories remained significant and selling prices go on to plummet
With SSD connect fees expanding and capacities raising because of to rate declines, the 2018 marketplace share presents critical historic context for comparison to 1H19 developments. Not all suppliers will fare properly even though in 2019 – the survivors will possess a competitive NAND expense framework, have impressive controller technologies and a broad portfolio that includes NVMe PCIe SSDs.
…which can likely be usefully summarized as: 2019 is likely to be a excellent 12 months to get SSD memory, at minimum until finally the finish of the 12 months when the cost will begin to go up yet again.
Category: industries-marketplace marketplace technology-innovation